Monday 23 May 2011

Let the X mark the spot!!!!
X-marks the spot and whichever spot one chooses to mark, it will have an impact on the final outcome. Millions of South Africans will make their way to the polling stations to exercise their democratic right by marking that X next to the political party of their choice at the 2011 local government elections on 15 May.


Let the X-mark the spot, a ballot paper with all the political parties.

With just two weeks left till the elections, it is also crunch time for political parties as they wrap up their campaigns. After weeks of rallies and making all sorts of promises to people, politicians are also making final attempts to convince people to vote for them. Whilst many people are still battling about which political party to vote for, Ndabenhle Mthembu (23) of Glenmore, Durban decided during the 2009 national elections. After voting for the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) in the 2009 national elections Mthembu wants to amend what he calls “the biggest mistake he has ever made.”
He says, he was made a promise of getting government tenders if he voted for the IFP by the then Chairwoman and Mayor of Zululand, Zanele Ka Magwaza-Msibi’s son, Melusi Magwaza. “Voting for the IFP was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made, I was made a promise which of course never came to life, I learnt a lesson and I will never again betray myself and my party for vain promises. Firstly the IFP is stuck, it’s going nowhere, I made the mistake of voting for tenders,” said Mthembu.

To rectify that mistake, Mthembu will vote for the African National Congress (ANC) in the 2011 local government elections.  Mthembu has always been an ANC supporter not because it is the majority party, but because of the work it has done in the 17 years of democracy. “Considering that we lived under oppression for over 40 years, the ANC has done a lot in emancipating the South African people since the dawn of democracy. I commend the ANC for what it has done and for what I believe it will continue to do for the South African people,” said Mthembu.

ANC campaign posters, they already have Mthembu’s vote.
Mthembu has been living in Glenwood for 10 years, and in the 10 years he has lived there he has only seen the ward councilor twice. “I know she represents the Democratic Alliance (DA), but I’ve never seen her campaign, she is not visible, I don’t even think she has done anything for Glenwood in the past 10 years since she has been in power, I do not see any changes around here  things still look as they did the first time I came here. She does not campaign, if you want my vote, you must bother me, be in my face let me know that you are here and the DA is not doing that. The ANC has been the only is the only visible party around here, I can hear what they are saying and I believe they will deliver, that’s why I am voting ANC, said Mthembu.




      The majority party, the ANC supporters waving the flag during one of the political rallies.
Nompilo Mchunu
20718170


































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment